If you are planning to get an iPad in the near future, you will probably face the big question that Apple introduced this year – which iPad to get? iPad Mini or iPad 4? We knew most people will need some guidance in helping them to make the right choice and therefore come this article.
Below is a quick comparison of specs of both iPads.
|Specs||iPad Mini||iPad 4|
|Operating System||iOS 6||iOS 6|
|Processor||Apple Dual Core A5||Apple Dual Core A6x with quad-core graphics|
|Display||7.9-inch LED-backlit IPS|
1024 x 768 pixels
|9.7‑inch LED-backlit IPS
2048 x 1536 pixels Retina Display
|Front Camera||1.2 MP 720p FaceTime HD camera||1.2 MP 720p FaceTime HD camera|
|Back Camera||5.0 MP 1080p iSight||5.0 MP 1080p iSight|
16.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
|Storage||16GB, 32GB, 64GB||16GB, 32GB, 64GB|
|Dimension||200 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm||241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm|
|Weight||308g (Wi-Fi Only)|
312g (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
|652g (Wi-Fi Only)
662g (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
*Note: Price in RM are only predicted price tags.
|Wi-Fi Only Model:|
16GB: US$329 (RM999*)
32GB: US$429 (RM1,299*)
64GB: US$529 (RM1,599*)
Wi-Fi + Cellular Model:
16GB: US$459 (RM1,399*)
32GB: US$559 (RM1,699*)
64GB: US$659 (RM1,999*)
|Wi-Fi Only Model:
16GB: US$499 (RM1,499*)
32GB: US$599 (RM1,799*)
64GB: US$699 (RM2,099*)
Wi-Fi + Cellular Model:
16GB: US$629 (RM1,899*)
32GB: US$729 (RM2,199*)
64GB: US$829 (RM2,499*)
Get the iPad Mini for…
- Portability. The iPad Mini is a lot smaller than the full size iPad 4. At only 308 grams, it is half the weight of the iPad 4. That means you can carry the iPad Mini with you to most of the places you go more than you could with the full size iPad. You can fit the iPad Mini into a big pocket or a pocket inside your jacket. It is like carrying a phone with you.
- Reading. If you think you’ll use the device more for reading e-books, newsfeed, browsing the web or any other ways of content consumption, the iPad Mini is for you. Most people with an iPad complain that the full size iPad is too heavy to hold for reading at an extended period of time. I find this true as my hand starts to sore when reading with the iPad while lying on the bed. One will never be able to ignore the burden of holding a 652 gram device for comfortable reading. Besides, you can hold the iPad Mini with one hand, which means you can read while travelling on a public transit with the other hand holding the hand-rail.
- Children. The iPad Mini is light and small enough to be handled by your children. Most kids app do not need heavy processing power and therefore the iPad Mini is best for your kids. You no longer needs to yell at your child and ask them to hold the iPad with both hands.
- Thumb-Typing. If you want thumb-typing like you do with the iPhone, get the iPad Mini so that you can type quickly on a tablet with one hand on-the-go. This is especially important for heavy messaging user.
- Price. If you have a tight budget, go for the iPad Mini. You still get the full iPad experience.
Get the iPad 4 with Retina Display for…
- Gaming. With quad-core graphics and super fast A6X chip, the iPad 4 couple with its Retina Display is excellent for tablet gaming. Play first person shooter or realistic racing game to enjoy the best iPad gaming experience.
- Photo-editing. If you plan to do photo-editing on the iPad, get the iPad 4. Most good photo-editing apps requires strong processing power which the iPad 4 offers. Moreover, the Retina Display lets you see every detail of the photo, pixel by pixel.
- Art-creation. The iPad 4 is great for creating arts with the support of great drawing and sketching apps like Paper. With a bigger screen, you get more room to layout your artistic masterpiece.
- Music. The reason is simple. Bigger screen means bigger buttons for inside iPad piano or drums to help you create music on the iPad.
- Power User. If getting the iPad is to replace most of the work you do on a desktop computer or laptop, get the iPad 4. It is the most powerful tablet you can get in the market today.
- Retina Display. Yes, for most people who are used to the Retina Display on the iPhone or iPod Touch, you will instantly notice the inferior display on the iPad Mini. If you think you cannot stand the inferior display, you have no choice but to get the iPad 4 with Retina Display. Furthermore, bigger screen means better photo viewing experience with the iPad. Display comparison between iPad Mini and iPad 4 with Retina Display as per image below.
We end this article with two iPad TV ad from Apple, one for the iPad Mini and the other iPad with Retina Display.
We hope this article provides some guidance in helping you decide which iPad to get. Regardless which one you are getting, be rest assured that you’ll get the full iPad experience. So, iPad Mini or iPad 4? Which one are you getting and why? Tell us in the comment section below.
Our other iPad Mini related articles: http://www.ipadclubmalaysia.com/tag/ipad-mini/